OMG, you guys! I am beyond excited to share today’s post with you. We’re making food safe AND dishwasher safe mugs. Can I just say—FINALLY! I feel as though my DIY prayers have been answered.
We’re bringing you this post in collab with . They make food safe permanent paint markers and ceramics. The markers come in a pretty impressive rainbow of colors. You can check out the markers and the ceramic .
Step 1: Wipe down your ceramic surface with a paper towel. Make sure it’s fingerprint free!
Step 2: Use the to create your own designs. If you mess up, just wipe it off and try again. The markers are not permanent until you bake them. And on that note—be careful! Designs can (accidentally) rub off easily until they are baked.
Tip: If you are real particular (I can be!), use tape to mask off the area where you want to add text or illustrations. If you are one of those people who don’t love their handwriting, easy—buy some letter stickers you can trace!
Tip: If you are doing thicker lines OR more than one color (like my confetti design), you might need multiple layers of marker. If you do, bake between each layer. If you don’t, layer 2 might rub off layer one.
Step 3: Bake at 375°F for 40 minutes. To avoid cracking, allow the pieces to heat up and cool in the oven.
Here are five ideas for holiday gift mugs!!!
1. Use a quote from a favorite TV show or movie. This is one of the ultimate gift ideas because you can really customize it to your loved one’s personality! X files, anyone?
2. Have a little cheeky fun! Adding “vodka?” or “whiskey?” to coffee mugs is silly and fun!
(Don’t forget to sign your name and date the bottom!! :))
3. These coffee jokes are probably my personal favorite. Perfect for the coffee lover in your life (or, you know, a “treat yourself” moment! I kind of want to keep these!).
4. Use joke names, pet names or Instagram handles for fun cursive mugs.
5. Confetti dots make a super fun, colorful background, and a monogram mug never hurt anyone. Who doesn’t love a good monogram?
Which idea would you guys do? Or would you do something totally different? If you make your own food safe, dishwasher safe and microwave safe mugs, we’d LOVE to see them! Tag them on Instagram using #SpGcrafty. Happy Holiday gift making, you guys!!! xx- Helen
Credits//Author and Photography: Helen Larson. Photos edited with .